Automated screenshots for different locales/sizes
A big reason why our app store looks subpar compared to others is that screenshots are not that great, in particular they are:
- Not up to date: Screenshots often don't get updated when UI changes
- Bad/boring content: Since setting up nice content is a lot of work, screenshots are often very bare bones in this respect
- Not localized: Most apps only have en_US screenshots
App screenshots on other platforms are generally better because they have tooling to take them automatically for every new release.
As far as I understand, the iOS and Android tools for this use UI tests to recreate specific states of the app in the emulator, so they're exactly the same for each new release, across locales and screen sizes. The configuration for each screenshot has to be set up once, but after that it's all automatic.
Fastlane seems to be a popular tool to do this:
- iOS: https://docs.fastlane.tools/getting-started/ios/screenshots
- Android: https://docs.fastlane.tools/getting-started/android/screenshots
I wonder if we could do something similar with e.g. dogtail, maybe even as part of CI?