Print dialog redesign review
Quick review of the redesigned print dialogs that Marek has been working on (branch here).
In general, they're a huge, massive, tremendous improvement over what we currently have.
A list of potential niggles:
- The window abruptly resizes when some of the settings are changed:
- Change the destination and the width changes
- Change pages from "all pages" to "range", and the height changes
- Slightly odd shadows on the inside of the preview area: only on the top and left side - it's uneven.
- The layouts in the details view need some work - there's some obvious misalignment.
- Is "details" an appropriate label? It's not really "details" - just more settings.
- Use of dropdowns for settings with only two or three options. "All pages" vs "range" is the main example.
- The view controls for the preview:
- Why are they floating over the preview? Is the idea that they should only be shown on hover?
- They look a little cramped.
- I wonder about the need for zoom controls here.
- The file label is vertically misaligned against its button. I also wonder how this performs when the file path is long.
- Print preview window:
- Is it needed? My impulse is to try and resize the main print dialog.
- The obvious issue with the window is that the settings aren't available - so you can't make changes to what you're seeing.
- The action items are "cancel" and "print"; none of these seem appropriate for going back to the main print dialog to change a setting. Maybe there should be a "close" button?