Usability issue: error message "error occurred while printing"
Submitted by min..@..arp.fm
While trying to print from Dia, a printing error is encountered.
Dia responds to the print request with the message "error occurred while printing". What this error says is self evident - no page appeared out the printer, so quite obviously, an error occurred while printing. The message didn't tell me anything I wasn't able to figure out myself.
What the error message did not tell me is:
- What it was trying to do specifically that didn't work (lpr didn't exist, lpr returned an error and the error was XXX);
- What printer (if any) it was trying to print to;
- What the program might suggest I do to fix the problem (broadly).
Examples of possible error conditions:
- "The printer XXX was not found on this system. Please check your printer settings".
- "The printer XXX returned the following error: printer is out of paper".