Goals for first release
Let's write down some tasks that would be good to achieve:
Doable for 1.0.0
- Add a rename popover.
- Add thumbnail support.
- Add "Open in terminal" option.
- Add icon size selector. We can even have something nice directly in the UI.
- Add settings support.
- Wire up the operations with Nautilus operations. This will be basically a dbus API with Nautilus. It should be quite trivial and will give integration with Nautilus itself, and a side benefit by using DBUS this provides possible support for any file manager.
Not clearly doable for 1.0.0 but wanted sooner rather than later
- Explore DnD between gtk apps and shell. Florian and Garnacho said it requires wiring up the protocol from Mutter that is not done for the DnD from the Shell to an App. However seems the code for DnD from an app to the shell is already in place.
Possible nice to have
- Show Home/Network/Disks. These were the "special links" in Nautilus desktop code.
- Custom icons
These are features that Nautilus desktop had and that I recommend to not implement them, the result of those were a quite clunky experience and the code was horrendous by nature.
- Individual size handler for icons. The famous "stretch icon"
- Free layout. This would imply also:
- Collision handling
- Granulated layout (so icons can be reordered in a non-perfect grid, which was a "feature").
- Granulated layout. This is, a grid that is not a grid, yay. I have no idea how to explain it better... sure it was a mess though. In nautilus was the option "snap to grid" iirc.