Feature Freeze break request for nautilus port to Tracker 3
The MR has mine and @oholy's approvals on the condition that the Release Team approves.
- Changes nautilus dependencies to version 3 of tracker and tracker-miners, instead of version 2.
- Some feature behavior changes for Starred files. No changes for search.
- No UI or string changes.
This allows disabling tracker 2 by default, minimizing duplicate indexing (by tracker 2 and tracker 3 miners).
This assumes all conditions are met for the "tracker 3 by default" scenario outlined in GNOME/Initiatives#17 (comment 904359).
As a fallback scenario, if other conditions for "tracker 3 by default" are not met, this MR is not to be merged.
The changes were tested by Sam and Ondrej, both under JHBuild and flatpak, and with a gnome-os virtual machine.
No change in behavior is expected in the search functionality. Regressions were found and fixed.
It was no possible to preserve behavior for starred files with tracker 3, due to file vs. content separation.
This allowed us to redesign the implementation and as such address long standing bugs:
- silently failing to star files which were not indexed yet (newly added files).
- silently failing to star files due to private tracker heuristics (e.g. blacklisted filenames)
- not allowing to star files outside indexed directories
Automatic migration of starred files is included, which prevents data loss on upgrade.
As a regression of this MR, starred files lose their star when moving/renaming (like broken Bookmarks). I believe this is fixable by updating and adapting another MR (GNOME/nautilus!112). This other merge request is not ready yet, but it may be a candidate for hard code freeze break, or simply waiting for 3.38.1 to provide the regression fix.