Lists: selection of items in lists and types
Where we have lists when one can make a selection between options or a list where one can choose multiple items, I think there's some issues with how we handle presenting that:
- in some cases not entirely clear that a selection can made at all
- there's not a clear indicator that a selection is made or that it is one of a set of selections
- the type of selection: multiple (checklist) or one and only one (radiolist) isn't evident
I think an area with these issues are most problematic is in a place like network selection in wifi settings.
But I have some thoughts on resolving these things:
- we show the selection type in the list by having radio and check boxes in the list rows
- the radios/checks will both indicate which item is selected and what sort of selection type it is
- having the radios/checks in the rows will indicate that these are options that can be selected
I have a web mockup for selection lists with radios and checks with a screenshot below and a concept for an alternative wifi panel using these sort of patterns.