Improve standard header bar layouts
Header bars tend to have a standard layout: a title or a view switcher in the middle, with a small number of buttons out on each side. Issues that I sometimes see with this:
- There can be a lot of blank space
- The controls on each side can feel squashed together, due to their close proximity and a lack of space around them
- Application windows can end up looking very similar - there's not much variation in layout
- Sometimes we end up with useful controls being located in menus rather than being exposed
I'd be interested in exploring options for different types of layout, in order to reduce these issues. Goals might include:
- More visual balance in the layout of header bars.
- Let controls breathe a bit more.
- More variety in the layout of different application header bars (adding more visual interest in the process)
- Header bars that offer more utility, in cases where it is helpful.