Manual layers/tracks interface with various controls
Submitted by Jeff F.T.
Assigned to Alex Băluț
The current implementation of the timeline has "automatic" layers management; that is, layers are added/created automatically depending on you dragging clips up or down. This is actually mostly the result of an "incomplete implementation" rather than a "minimalist design".
I want to have advanced controls over the layers. Examples of apps that use this approach are Vegas, KDEnlive, OpenShot, Jokosher, Audacity, etc.
This would allow:
- muting or solo'ing layers
- giving a name to a layer
- resizing layers vertically (bug T2399)
- intuitive, built-in recording for audio layers (bug T2033)
- reordering layers (to change the Z-order of clips)
- setting the opacity (video layers) or sound volume or panning (audio layers)
- deleting layers and their contents
- effects that apply to all the clips in a layer
- "folding" (minimizing) layers to save space while working on a big project
Imported from https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=632319