Enhance clip insertion into timeline user experience (behaviour proposal)
Submitted by Dave Pawson
Assigned to Dave Pawson
My major problems in using pitivi are with inserting clips into the
time-line. This document presents my view of an alternative.
- A target point on a specific time-line is known. Since we are unable
to define a point as 'in between' to existing clips, suggest a
convention is established that the insertion point will be
before a selected clip, except in the case of an empty time-line
where there is only one insertion point, the start of the time-line.
- A clip (or multiple clips) are selected from the media library.
Current methods involve dragging and dropping clips onto the time-line
which I find both difficult and flawed. Errors include picking up
additional clips from the time-lines, placing the clips on wrong
time-lines, creating new time-lines. This is the problem I found which I
would like to address.
The 'insert selected clips' I was unable to get to work. The
manual mentions the
end of the time-line though not how to select one from n time-lines.
To insert a clip(s).
- Select an insertion mode such that the target insertion point may be selected.
- Select the target insertion point using the mouse.
- Select the clip(s) to be inserted
- Use the 'insert' key to insert the clips at the insertion point.
As a result, all subsequent clips in the selected time-line
[and any grouped clips in other time-lines] are moved to the right by
an appropriate amount, such that the inserted clip(s) are positioned
directly adjacent to the two either side of the insertion point.