Smarter and configurable ruler timecode / timestamp style
Submitted by Jeff F.T.
Assigned to Jeff F.T.
Bringing back an old idea back from the depths of the Internet:
- Visual overload. Rarely do users have timelines that stretch into hours.
- We don't display frames. This is important for stopmotion and 3D animation.
- The timecode notation is not fully compliant with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_time_code (may be a separate bug report)
Some ideas to solve the problem:
- Check the duration of the timeline. Don't show hours if it doesn't make sense.
- When moving the mouse over the ruler, display a tooltip with the frame number.
- Add an option in the prefs to "Show frames instead of miliseconds". Or perhaps there is a clever, automagic way to determine when users would be most likely to care about frames vs when they care about miliseconds? I may be overlooking something here.
Ideas (and patches!) welcome. If possible, I'd like to find a solution that is "automagical" rather than a forced option in the preferences dialog.
Imported from https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=675469