Thunderbird’s new Address Book switches from Focus mode to Browse mode
The latest Thunderbird nightly builds have introduced a very
nice rewrite of their Address Book, but since it’s now a mere
web document (much like Firefox’s new Preferences tab and so on),
Orca tends to get lost between Focus mode and Browse mode.
- Open a recent Thunderbird build.
- Add a couple of contacts.
- Open the Address Book (Ctrl-Shift-B).
- Hit Tab until you reach the search box, then twice more.
Orca will announce "Focus mode". The focus is actually in the
list box containing the contact cards.
- Hit the Up arrow. The first contact card gets selected.
(But NOT focused, as it’s currently not a focusable element.)
Orca now switches to "Browse mode"; the contact’s details open
on the right.
- Now hit the Down arrow, which should bring you to the
next contact card, right? Wrong: it actually brings you
to that contact’s details, because of Browse mode.
There’s actually no way you’ll be able to reach the next
contact card using the arrows alone.