44.rc: breaks Fullscreen mode on most SDL based games (Ren'Py, Unity, FNA, Source-Engine, ...) running through X/Xwayland
On most Ren'Py (visual novel engine) games Gnome 44 introduced a short flicker on entering/leaving fullscreen mode.
With 44.rc a few breaking issues appeared depending on the game/Ren'Py (engine) version:
- Most games will flicker into Fullscreen mode and then disappear completly (the games are still running and their process seem healthy, but their window is nowhere to be found)
- On some games switching into Fullscreen mode leads to an endless loop of entering/leaving (the log is filled with
The window was minimized.<->
The window was restored.
- On a lot of games the game tries to go fullscreen (the turning fullscreen animation of mutter is shown), but the game stays windowed in its original size without a title bar.
Steps to reproduce
The breaking issue (1) can be reproduced with the free game "Don't Forget Our Esports Dream" on Steam.
- Install https://store.steampowered.com/app/946560/Dont_Forget_Our_Esports_Dream/ from Steam
- Start the game until the main menu is seen
- Try to enter fullscreen mode using F11
- The window will either flicker and turn weird, or turn invisible. A few tries might be needed to see 1) instead of 3).
- As the game remembers the last mode it was closed in it will start invisible on next boot.