Source engine (and some other) games full-screen bugs since 3.38
- OS - Arch Linux
- Mutter Versions 3.38/.1
- Issue appears on Xorg with either an Intel or NVIDIA GPU
Originally reported on Reddit here, all source engine games will appear in a unmovable 640x480 window if they launch full-screen, and their internal game display will be squashed to the size of the window, making everything completely illegible and unplayable.
To add to this, if you launch a source game with the '-window' flag, the window appears fine, however when going into game settings and manually re-enabling full-screen, the game will still appear in a window rather than full-screen (On KDE even after launching with '-window', selecting full-screen in game will switch the window to a full-screen).
When the game is in this strange 'tiny window' mode, it appears it still has attempted to grab the mouse since the mouse is immovable in the center of the screen. Alt+TAB can be used to free the mouse, but then as soon as the bugged window is clicked upon, or dragged, the window minimizes.
cap-2020-10-23_06.48.08 shows the fullscreen launch bug in action.
Steps to reproduce (1)
- Launch a Source engine game with the '-window' flag
- Enable fullscreen mode in game settings, and apply
- Notice that the game is not full-screen
Steps to reproduce (2)
- Append '-fullscreen' to a source game launch options (Easily done via Steam)
- Launch the game
- Observe the game is now a 640x480 window, the mouse is trapped in the center of the screen, and the window cannot be resized
What did you expect to happen
Games should open as a full screen window rather than being squashed in a tiny window