automatically mount requested resources
Submitted by Andrey Gusev
Assigned to gvf..@..e.bugs
gvfs-fuse mountpoint can use special path style to automatically mount requested resources:
so virtually any protocol can be mapped to it:
smb://server1/myshare/ -> ~/.gvfs/smb/server1/myshare/ smb-browse:// -> ~/.gvfs/smb-browse/ sftp://server.tld/home/user -> ~/.gvfs/sftp/smb-browse/ trash:// -> ~/.gvfs/trash/ computer:// => ~/.gvfs/computer/
All needed information (usernamem, password etc) can be retrieved via dbus from keyring or user.
Pros of this schema:
- Any non gvfs aware application for example can ask for ~/.gvfs/smb/mycomp/myshare/file.txt and gvfs will automatically mount smb://mycomp/myshare/ and retrieve "file.txt" from it;
- Any non gvfs aware applications can see "network neighborhood" via ls ~/.gvfs/smb-browse/ (hosts displayed as symbolic links to ../smb/hostname/);
- User can use standart commands like cd ls mv without ever thinking about gvfs;
- This can be used with any gui toolkit.
Cons of this schema:
- Maybe very big path lengths especially with archive or image mount backends;
- Possible problems if kde or some other DE try to access .desktop files inside all directories but it can be used as advantage because you can feed the toolkit with right .desktop file to describe virtual folders function.