GtkAssistant and button order in general in GTk for Windows
Hello GTK team,
After a report some of my Windows GTK app users, I investigated the button order rules in GTK dialogs in general.
notice: I take for reference the windows HIG and all sublevel of the window page section (the wizard):
A) GtkAssistant, to reproduce
- open gtk3-demo
- force gtk-alternative-button-order=TRUE with inspector
- click the assistant page here are the button position you get:
- page 1: Next Cancel
- page 2: Next Back Cancel => should be Back Next Cancel
- page 3: Apply Back Cancel => should be Back Apply Cancel
=> the fix would probably be to just pin the cancel button on the right => BTW as users reported: to succeed with any assistant under Windows, mouse movement requires to be really focus to follow next > next > apply, and will lead to fail most of the time, because you will click on back for sure.
note: the GtkAssistant is not a child of GtkDialog but use gtk-alternative-button-order as well
B) and so, and this is more a question here, but strongly related:
GtkMessageDialog button position are OK - used with GTK_BUTTONS_YES_NO or GTK_BUTTONS_OK_CANCEL but according to the source code it is because the order is post set with gtk_dialog_set_alternative_button_order which is a deprecated function since 3.10.
But, in GtkSettings gtk-alternative-button-order is not deprecated, and is set to TRUE under MS windows and you cannot override via the settings file. So its confusing.
So the question are:
- how do we manage the correct button order to conform Windows HIG and user habits under windows with GTK ?
- if GTK want to follow Gnome HIG as well under Windows, why gtk-alternative-button-order is set to TRUE and cannot be overriden ?