Flickering tooltips if no mouse cursor theme "loaded"
Steps to reproduce
Since 14d22cb3, GTK reads the setting
gtk-cursor-theme-size when it's about to show a tooltip. This works if you're running a full GNOME session, but may not work on "lightweight" setups. For example:
- Have your
~/.xinitrccontain nothing but
openboxand launch an X11 session via
- No special themes, no extra stuff in
~/.config. (I actually used a virtual machine with a fresh and naked installation of Arch Linux.)
- Run tooltip.c.
- Move the mouse cursor over the new window. If your machine is slow, you can see that the tooltip flickers (appear, disappear, appear, disappear, ...). If your machine is too fast, you just see no tooltip.
A workaround is to put something like
gtk-cursor-theme-size = 16 in your
Besides my example program, "real" applications show the same behavior:
- The tooltips of the toolbars in LibreOffice Writer flicker.
- GNOME Terminal, when showing tooltips for the recently introduced explicit hyperlinks: Run
printf '\033]8;;%s\a%s\033]8;;\a' hello worldat the shell, then hover over the word
- Some people on the Manjaro forum have multiple reports.