Text in text box disappears when save in Gnumeric as xlsx
When a file with a text box (rectangle object containing text) is saved in xlxs format the text disappears. This happens both when you create the file with text box in Gnumeric, and when you open/change an existing xlxs file with existing textbox created in Libre Office Calc or Excel. This obviously means loss of data, you lose the text.
Issue found in versions:
Gnumeric 1.12.46 on Linux Mint 20, Kernel: 5.4.0-26-generic x86_64 bits
Gnumeric 1.12.35 on Linux Mint 19.3
Reproduce the error, case 1:
- Open a new Gnumeric
- Create a rectangle object
- Right-click on the rectangle object -> Properties -> Content. Enter some text "This is like a textbox". OK.
- Save the file as .xlsx (file type ..Excel 2010), and close Gnumeric
- Open the file again with Gnumeric: The text in the rectangle object has now disappeared
Reproduce the error, case 2:
- Open an new Libre Office Calc
- Enter some text in the textbox "This is a Calc textbox"
- Save the file as xlxs (Excel 2007 - 365) and close Calc
- Open the file with Gnumeric. Now you see a rectangle with the text ("This is a Calc textbox"), and everything seems fine.
- Change something, for example enter "A1" in cell A1.
- Save the file and close Gnumeric.
- Open the file again with Gnumeric: The text in the rectangle has now disappeared (9.Open the file again with LO Calc: The text in the Textbox is still gone.)
Case 2 also applies when file is created in Excel.