Notifications list / calendar popover layout
I've been dissatisfied with the layout of the notifications/calendar drop down for some time. Various reasons for this:
- It feels overwhelming - there a lot of content, and a lot of complexity
- It's hard to read the layout - sections aren't clearly delineated, there isn't enough regularity for the eye to be able to pick up on a discernible structure
- The visual hierarchy is off in places; for example, if I select a date in the calendar, events for that date appear to the left of where I just clicked
- The calendar click targets are really tiny
- It just doesn't look beautiful
The following is a potential option for updating the layout to address these issues. However, it is just an idea and it would be good to know if there are other proposals out there. Also, it would be good to have input from a visual designer.