OSK Emoji picker: No way to switch (sub-)pages with mouse clicks?
gnome-shell-42.1-2.fc36.x86_64 on Fedora 36, in GDM
Recently, after activating the Screen Keyboard feature to fill the greeter's password prompt, I discovered that I was unable to reach any emoji past the first 33 in each section/category, as there was no way (that I could find) to switch pages within each grouping using only a desktop mouse with [vertical-only] scroll wheel.
Steps to reproduce
- Log out to GDM
- Activate "Screen Keyboard" from the A11y menu
- Click a username to open password prompt
- Click Emoji button in on-screen keyboard
- Attempt to reach second or later page(s) of the currently-selected group
I tried all of the following:
- Clicking on the little dots; no dice
- Repeatedly clicking on the icon for the face emoji set (next to the “ABC” button), to see if it would cycle pages; it will not
- Scrolling my mousewheel vertically over the emoji panel; no effect
- Clicking and dragging the existing choices leftwards, to simulate a swipe action; completely inert
- All manner of attempts to use physical keyboard inputs like PgUp / PgDn, ← / →, etc; all physical typing bypassed the on-screen keyboard entirely and went to the password field
What did you expect to happen
Primarily, and if nothing else, I expected clicking the little dots below the grid of emoji (circled in green, in the screenshot) to change which page (or subpage, if the category/section selections are "pages") of emoji is displayed.
However, unless I'm misreading the code, the
_pageIndicator that renders those dots is explicitly set non-reactive, making them non-functional:
this._pageIndicator = new PageIndicators.PageIndicators( Clutter.Orientation.HORIZONTAL); this.add_child(this._pageIndicator); this._pageIndicator.setReactive(false);
This is a problem for non-touch users, as the pages may be switchable using gestures, but they do not seem to be with any click or drag inputs.