Accessibility: Gnome shell windows are missing titles
- OS: Arch Linux
- Gnome Shell version: 3.38.3-1
- Appears in X-org and (probably) Wayland.
Orca doesn’t read the title of the Dash, Overview, and Application windows. All that is spoken is “window”.
Steps to reproduce
- Start a Gnome X Session.
- Enable Assistive Technologies support, then turn on Orca by
pressing Alt + F2, then running
- Orca will say “Screen reader on.” Now, press the Super key.
- Orca will say “window”, and nothing else. You can Tab or arrow around to find items, but for a new user, this will not be apparent.
- Press Escape, to exit the Overview.
- Now, press Super + A. Orca will again say “window”, and nothing else.
- You can Tab or arrow around the list of applications, but again, this is not apparent to new users.
When the window is opened, the title of the window wasn’t read, and the focused item within that window also wasn’t read.
What did you expect to happen
The title of the window (Dash, Overview, Applications), should be read by Orca, along with the focus set on an item for it also to be read.