Inconsistent search results for system actions with different languages
Both XOrg and Wayland are affected, although Wayland was tested under VMWare driver
Gnome shell versions tested:
- 3.36 (Fedora 32)
- 3.37.90 (Fedora Compose 20200912) - affected in a different way
Search results for system actions such as shutdown, reboot, suspend, lock screen, logout, are inconsistent between languages, when using non-english locale. Following examples are all given under ru_RU.UTF-8 locales, although other languages seem to be affected as well.
For 3.36 under Fedora 32 it only works with russian terms
For 3.37 (3.38) it works for both english and russian, but results are inconsistent:
- shutdown and reboot work only for english
- suspend, logout and lock screen work only for russian
- entering ";" (semicolon) results in all system actions being found (see screenshots)
Steps to reproduce
- Install Fedora with russian locale, boot it up and login
- Press Meta key to open overview
- Start searching for "suspend"
No results will be present.
Switching to russian layout and searching for russian equivalent ("спящий режим", "ждущий режим") will yield suspend action as expected
What did you expect to happen
Search should work in both languages, with english prioritized.
Rationale behind this is that most work is done in EN keyboard layout: console commands, programming language texts, urls etc are mostly english/latin based. One would only use RU layout when writing text in russian is absolutely required. So as EN layout is default, ability to perform actions without switching layout is preferrable.
Relevant logs, screenshots, screencasts etc.
Demonstration screenshots for 3.37:
Demonstration screenshots for 3.36: