Consider changing the volume OSD (and other OSDs) to make it less disruptive (change size and position)
Currently there are 3 ways to change the volume on GNOME:
- Click on the status icons and changing the volume via the volume bar
- Scrolling on the volume icon on the volume status icon
- Using the multimedia keys
Both 2 and 3 trigger the volume OSD. The problem with the volume OSD is that it can be disruptive. Some reasons for that:
- On Adwaita the background of the OSD is opaque
- The OSD is horizontally centered on the screen and is positioned on the lower third vertically
- The OSD is pretty big
- Its icons are white
All these can cause temporary obscuring of content, which might be disruptive on full screen content such as watching a video or playing a game.
Please, consider changing it to something similar (but preferably better than) what is done on Windows 8 and 10 or Android Pie.
Solved that it might be a good idea to analyze how OSDs such as screen brightness, keyboard lights brightness and airplane mode works.