Needs a UI redesign
Our current UI isn't efficient, we should rethink what are the use-cases we want to support and how we could do so.
Continue my game
When I start the application, I usually either:
- want to play a new game, or
- continue a game I played recently.
We support both use-cases, but to continue the game I last played I have to:
- click on "Collections"
- click on "Played recently"
- click a game, typically one of the very first, making most of that page useless
It's quite a lot for what should be a major feature, to the point I prefer to type the name of the game and click it directly. I'd suggest removing that collection and instead showing the first ~5 most recently played games at the top of the collection, or maybe even have a "Continue" button in the headerbar showing a popover with the 5 most recently played games.
Find a new game to play
We offer 3 views to do that:
- Games, listing all games from all platforms in alphabetical order
- Platforms, showing a list of platforms containing all its games listed in alphabetical order
- Collections, showing folders with:
- favorites, which are manually flagged
- played games sorted in most-recently-played orders
- manually created collections
I think the Games and Platforms views are too similar what about adding a phony "All" platform at the top of the platforms list, which would allow us to consider that list not as a hierarchy but as filters in the whole list of games. If we drop the hierarchy, then we can use a flap rather than a leaflet, which will also simplify how we handle the view switcher bar. We could then drop the Games view and rename the Platforms view into Games.
On startup, the app would present all games as it would be on the "All" filter.