Parental control panel
All major operating systems (e.g. macOS or Windows) have build-in parental controls in the operating system. Currently there is the infrastructure to allow to implement this (pam) but there is no solid UI to do so.
I’m going to implement a UI for this since I have the need. I have been looking at two options:
- Doing a proposal to gnome-control-center (this)
- A stand alone application.
In my view makes sense that this is part of the main GNOME configuration since it's a key functionality of a system in the context of a family and major operating systems like Mac OS and Windows provide this functionality.
Goals & use cases
Epic scope: parental control has a wide range of functionality including limitation on time, applications, web sites, that you can visit, etc.
Use case for the first version:
- Parents are able to restrict the time that their kids use the computer
Proposal & plan
Implement the functionality using pam_time. I plan to start working on this at the end of June for a period of 3 months.
- Design the UI for time control (help will be super helpful) and ask for feedbck
- Create a new component in gnome-control (parental-control)
- Implement the functionality using a branch
- Use it personally for some weeks
- Ask for integration of the branch after it's reviewed and tested
What I'm looking is for input if you consider this appropriate for gnome-control and input on the plan before I start working on this.