Month view is hard to read
Created attachment 362894 mockup
I currently find the month view quite difficult to read. It feels like a real effort to interpret the information that's being displayed - it takes work to scan the events and it's difficult to differentiate between different types of event.
I think there are various reasons for this:
- The default calendar colours are hard to differentiate from one another.
- For me the date is in the wrong position - when I read a calendar I expect the date to come first, as that frames the rest of the information in each tile.
- Within each event, the name of each event doesn't always come first, which makes it hard to quickly read down the list and identify each one. This kind of inconsistency creates additional cognitive overhead.
- The brackets around the times are additional visual noise which you have to process out.
- Everything is very squashed.
I'm attaching a proposal which, to my eyes, makes the tiles much easier to read. It includes the following changes:
- Move the date to the top left of the tile and make it bigger.
- Change the default colours to be brighter and easier to differentiate.
- Increase the height of each event.
- Move the times to the right, so the event name is always the first bit of text.
- Define a new layout for the Month view
- Update the visual of events
- Implement the new Month view layout
- Implement the new event visual
- [Month view] Day numbers are at top of the cell
- [Month view] Overflow label is in the bottom position
- [Month view] Overflow button is hidden until overflow happens
- [Month view] Single day, timed events have a 16px colored rounded rectangle
- [Month view] Multiday or all day events maintained the previous block layout
- [Week view] Single day timed events look like a block with a vertical layout
- No regressions were introduced