Please include error details when stating "There is a problem with the current build configuration"
Dear Builder builders,
I found a fun-looking tutorial by Raffaele T, and tried to follow it; but at some point I ran into an error that had so few details that I couldn't debug it. This issue is to let you know which error message lacks details.
Just to head off a potential misunderstanding:
- This issue is not "what is wrong with my build configuration" -- that's for me personally to fix, I suppose, or at least it's not a gnome-build-specific issue.
- Instead, this issue is "Feature request: can Gnome Builder please display error details when stating 'There is a problem with the current build configuration'."
Steps to reproduce
- Create a new project.
- Have something wrong in your build configuration; I don't know what is wrong in mine, unfortunately.
- Click on the big button in the middle of the toolbar
- A popover appears, with orange text saying "There is a problem with the current build configuration.": The buttons Build / Rebuild / Clean / Export Bundle are greyed out.
That I can click something to see what, exactly, is the problem with the current build configuration. An error message, the build log. I have never built a Gnome application before, and I don't know where to start looking.
The only buttons I can click on are (1) an arrow in an explosion (a sun?), that on mouseover says "Update build dependencies", and (2) a wrench in front of a wall or keyboard, that on mouseover says "Configure build preferences". I went to the "Configure build preferences".
Configure build preferences displays a bunch of information, sometimes black, sometimes gray. Mousing over the first block changes the cursor, so I conclude that black means "editable", and grey means "not editable"; but none of the settings look obviously wrong to me.
Other places I looked for error details and didn't find them
- The button with the program logo lets you generate a support log, but it doesn't contain any useful information on why the build configuration failed. It looks more like platform information than like a log of what happened?
- I looked up the gnome-builder docs, found the Troubleshooting page, which recommended the verbosity flags. I tried running gnome-builder -vvvv; that only showed warnings, no obvious errors. It contains the message "MESSAGE: The build configuration has errors", but it's not clear what led to that message. There's errors loading the beautifier plugin, but that has to do with the IDE's code beautifying, so is probably not related to the build configuration.
Again, it's not your job to debug my installation; this is just the places where I tried to get details out of Builder.
I hope this issue helps youse!