exif tags and embedded color space profile not synchronized
Submitted by kuh..@..il.com
Please describe the problem:
- opening a jpg image including exif tags that specify a color space (e.g. AdobeRGB)
- converting the image to another colorspace (e.g. sRGB)
- saving the converted image
Bug: the newly saved image contains the new color space profile, but at the same time the new image still contains the old exif tags, referring to the original color space. As a result exif tag information and embedded color profile are not synch'ed. This causes other software to mis-interpret the image color space.
Steps to reproduce:
- Open jpg image which includes: EXIF color space tag to "Uncalibrated" and the InteropIndex EXIF field to "R03", which, together, means Adobe RGB
- Convert image to sRGB, using Image -> mode -> Change color profile... [ I am not sure about the exact menue names, since I do ot use an English GIMP]
- Save converted image as jpg
Actual results: The saved jpg image contains an sRGB color profile, but still holds:
EXIF color space tag to "Uncalibrated" and the InteropIndex EXIF field to "R03", which, together, means Adobe RGB
Expected results: After conversion to sRGB the EXIF color space tag should be set to 1 (sRGB) and the InteropIndex tag should be removed. Alternatively, the color space tag could be left to Uncalibrated but the InteropIndex then has to be set to "R98", which also means sRGB.
One way or another GIMP should update the medatada to tell what was done, this is clearly a bug, the file should not be written with an sRGB profile and metadata saying otherwise.
Does this happen every time? Yes