GIMP ignores the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard layout's characters
- GIMP version: 2.10.24
- Package: Installer from gimp.org
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Description of the bug
The Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard, which comes preinstalled with Windows 10, uses the right Ctrl key to enter additional characters, such as Æ. Internally, it uses the KANA modifier to achieve this, which is a modifier that does not cause conflicts with existing keyboard shortcuts, unlike the most common ALTGR modifier. However, the current stable version of GIMP ignores characters entered with the KANA modifier, and instead returns the unmodified character. So, for example, to enter Æ, you press Right Ctrl + A, and it works on every other Windows 10 app, but it doesn't work on the latest stable release of GIMP. Another keyboard layout that uses the KANA modifier a lot is the Spanish Input layout (https://www.spanishinput.com/keyboard-layout.html). You can find more info about the KANA modifier and why it's important for multilingual keyboard layouts here: http://www.kbdedit.com/manual/ex13_replacing_altgr_with_kana.html
Is the bug reproducible? Always
- Either install the Canadian Multilingual Standard keyboard layout, or install the Spanish Input layout.
- Try to enter any character that uses the KANA modifier, such as Æ in the Canadian Multilingual Standard Keyboard (Right Ctrl + A)
- See how GIMP only returns the unmodified character, thus ignoring the KANA modifier.
Expected result: Æ
Actual result: A
If you have a backtrace for a crash or a warning, paste it here.