Choice of RAW Converter is not honoured after DCRAW is installed
GIMP version: 2.10.18
Note: bug reporters are expected to have verified the bug still exists either in the last stable version of GIMP or on updated development code (master branch).
Operating System: Ubunto 20.04
Package: Ubuntu - standard repositories (NOT snap store)
Description of the bug
When DCRAW converter and its plugin are installed in Ubuntu, GIMP uses it whatever preference you set
Please describe your issue with details. I normally use Windows 10, Partha's nuild of GIMP 2.10.18 which includes NUFRAW. On a fresh installation, if I drag a CR2 file into GIMP, NUFRAW opens and convertes the image. When I close NUFRAW, the image is returned to GIMP. After I installed RawTherapee 5.8.
In preferences under Image Import & Export, Raw Image Importer, I see three options listed:
The rawtherapee line is highlighted. This is all as I expect and, if I change the selected line to nufraw-gimp and restart GIMP then, when I drag a CR2 file into GIMP, NUFRAW is called to convert it. Things are working as I expect!
I wanted to try out Ubuntu 20.04, so I set it up as a VBox VM and installed Rawtherapee 5.8 and GIMP 2.10.18 (from repositories, NOT using the Ubuntu software store - when I tried that, I was unable to get RawTherapee and GIMP to talk to each other at all!). As expected, when I dragged a CR2 file into GIMP, Rawtherapee opened to convert it and, when I closed RawTherapp the image (eventually!) loaded into GIMP.
I then tried installing DCRAW using sudo apt install dcraw gimp-dcraw
Now whe I drag in a CR2 file, it is converted by DCRAW. But, if I go to Preferences, Image Import & Export, Raw Image Importer the DCRAW plugin is not listed and Rawtherapee is still highlight as the selected RAW converter. I have been unable to find a way to alter GIMP's choice of RAW converter in these circumstances. Restarting GIMP or indeed Ubuntu, makes no difference
Is the bug reproducible? Always
- Install GIMP 2.10.18 and Rawtherapee 5.8 in Ubuntu 20.04
- Drag a RAW file into GIMP, verify that Rawtherapee opens to convert the file
- Install dcraw and gimp-dcraw
- Drag a RAW file into GIMP - DCRAW will now handle the raw conversion
- Open Edit - Preferences, Image Import & Export and verify that a) DCRAW is not listed as an available RAW converter, b) RawTherapee is still selected as the chosen RAW converter.
- After the installation of dcraw and its plugin, it should be listed in Preferences as an available RAW converter
- The Selected RAW converter in preferences should be used for RAW conversion (probably, only after GIMP is restarted!)
- DCRAW does not appear in the list of RAW converters in Preferences
- The slected preference (RAwTherapee) is not honoured
If you have a backtrace for a crash or a warning, paste it here.