Many older .tga images not displaying alpha channels correctly
GIMP version: 2.10.8
Operating System: Win 10 x64
Package: Installer from gimp.org
Description of the bug
I look at lots of textures for game maps, and many are in the .tga format. Many, if not most of the images show the partially transparent parts of the image as totally transparent, but some show partial transparency, and have provided screenshots of each, and also the exact files. However, when I view the same image in LibreOffice Draw, or in game, they show up correctly. These are often older .tga files from several years ago, but not all. I have seen #2337 (closed) and #1111 and maybe it is related, but I am not sure. I am by no means an expert, just confused as to why the images do not show up correctly. Here are some samples of images that show in GIMP with missing parts, but correctly in LibreOffice Draw. I feel maybe there is a setting I need to change to see the images correctly in GIMP, but don't know what to do. Please help me be able to see the full image when I load it into GIMP.
Is the bug reproducible? Always
- Load image into GIMP, it appears blank
- Load image into LibreOffice Draw, it appears complete
Here Source_images.7zis the .7z file with the exact images I used. I apologize if I have put too much info into this post, but I hope I have provided enough information to understand, or at least, get help and fix this. Thanks. …
Expected result: image to show fully in GIMP
Actual result: image shows as fully transparent when opened in GIMP
LibreOffice version is Version: 188.8.131.52 (x64), also on same Windows 10 x64 machine. I only am using this as a generic example, because it was the only other default program Windows suggested for opening .tga files, but have not tried other programs.