Completely unusable with files containing long lines
Steps to reproduce:
- open a file that has 3 lines, one of which is some hundreds thousands characters
- try to edit it
Expected: Gedit should behave normally.
Observed: Completely unusable, completely broken.
Besides being slow and unresponsive, it exhibits several buggy behaviours that make absolutely no sense.
I attach some screenshot to illustrate them.
the cursor is at the beginning of a line; the horizontal scrollbar is all the way to the left. So, I should be seeing the beginning part of all lines. Instead, I'm seeing the beginning of all the lines that are not particularly long, but I'm seeing some random part in the middle of line 2. Inconsistent nonsense
Screenshot 2: I have moved the horizontal scrollbar a little bit to the right, about 20% or so. I should be seeing a portion of line 2 which is the only one that exceeds the window and determines the total scrollable size. I'm seeing NOTHING.
- I went to the very beginning of the file by hitting Ctrl+Home
- I moved down one step with the down arrow key
Expected: I should be at the beginning of very long line 2, I should be seeing the beginning of all lines Observed: the scrollbar has moved right for no reason of a random amount; I am seeing an empty window; I cannot see where the cursor is (if I move it left, I find out it's at the end of line 2 when it is supposed to be at the beginning); I'm seeing the semicolon that is at the end of line 2 but none of the characters before it; the fact that I'm seeing the last character of line 2 which is the longest one, is not consistent with the position of the scrollbar. Overall, a complete mess.
I attach the file I was editing: