Warning for multiple copies is ungrammatical and confusing
Submitted by Matthew Thomas
"The file /home/you/something/abc/ab...xyz/foo/bar.py is already open. gedit opened this instance of the file in non-editable way. Do you want to edit it anyway? ( Edit Anyway ) ( Don't Edit )"
Interesting idea, but alarming and confusing:
- the icon is the right size for a full-size alert, but too large for an embedded one
- "in non-editable way" is not quite correct English, which throws the whole message into doubt ("read-only" is the correct adverb)
- referring to an "instance" is unnecessarily obscure
- If "gedit opened this" copy "in non-editable" mode, isn't it too late to ask me if I want to edit it?
I see bug 143646 is open on abolishing the alert (good), but in the meantime, it can be cleaned up substantially. I suggest:
- remove the /!\ icon, or make it 16*16
- remove the path (it's already present in the title bar)
- change the wording to "You already have this file open.", and nothing else
- change the buttons to "Edit Anyway" and "Keep Read-Only".