Open file popover refinements
The open file popover has served us well over the years, and I get the impression that people like it. That said, there's always scope for improvement, and there are a few things we could do to make the popover even better!
- It's not entirely clear what is being listed - what are these files?
- The popover feels unnecessarily constrained - you only get to see five files in the list.
- The layout of each list row doesn't feel quite right - there's too much space between the label and the sub-label.
- The "Other Documents..." label is a bit unclear. What is going to happen when I click this?
- The search results list is a bit confusing - it's not clear that you can scroll (partly because the recent file list is truncated, but also partly because this style of list isn't typically scrolled in GNOME - we scroll the container, not the list itself)
Things we can do to improve these points:
Add a heading to the list ("Recent Files" or "Recent Documents")
Add another file or two to the recent list, and allow it to be expanded
Reduce the spacing inside each list row
Change the "Other Documents..." label to "Browse Documents..."
Place the search results inside a scrollable container, and expand the height of the popover to accommodate more search results when they're returned
I've drawn some mockups of what this could look like.