High resource usage on startup (CPU and virtual memory)
I have two accounts with less than 6000 messages in each of the two Inboxes. When I launch Geary, it takes about 3 or 4 minutes before I can finally access message content and read newly arrived messages. During this time, the CPU is used to 45%-80%, and afterwards I observe that Geary have reserved about 90 GiB of virtual memory.
- Geary version: 0.12.4.
- Installation method: Ubuntu PPA http://ppa.launchpad.net/geary-team/releases/ubuntu
- Your desktop: GNOME 3.28.3.
- Your operating system and version: Ubuntu 18.04.1.
- Email provider: Gmail and university email.
Steps to reproduce
- Launch Geary (while having two accounts with more than 5000 messages in each one).
- Observe high CPU usage and inability to read old messages or see newly arrived ones.
- After a couple of minutes, check the amount of virtual memory reserved by Geary.
What is the current bug behavior?
On the initial startup:
3 minutes CPU usage between 45% and 80% (Intel Skylake),
99 GiB of virtual memory reserved.
There is no lag or high CPU usage on restarting Geary application after it was closed. The issue only appears on the first launch after the system is rebooted.
What is the expected correct behavior?
Something like what Evolution email does.
Relevant logs and/or screenshots