• Brian Cameron's avatar
    This patch resolves some performance issues that I noticed when testing · 55230e85
    Brian Cameron authored
    2006-02-07  Brian Cameron  <brian.cameron@sun.com>
    
            This patch resolves some performance issues that I noticed when
            testing GDM with the gdmdynamic command.  I notice that waiting for
            the sockets to timeout made gdmdynamic slower so now all the clients
            load all the configuration data in one quick pass and close the
            socket.  Since the gdm_config_get functions cache the data, the slaves
            will not go over the socket to get the data again unless asked to
            reread.  Bump the maximum messages over the socket from 20 to 80
            because gdmlogin pulls about 65 configuration parms over and this
            allows all data to be accessed in one connection (and gives a little
            room for growth).  Improved the way GDM slaves deal with syslog so all
            slaves use the same interfaces.  Added three missing keys to the daemon
            configuration handling code.
    
            * daemon/gdmconfig.c: Add three keys that were missing for background
              program support.
            * gui/gdmcomm.[ch]: Now if there is a failure connecting to the daemon,
              the slave will sleep 1 second before retry (normally retries 5
              times).  If all retries fail, it will not try sleeping on subsequent
              calls to the daemon.  This greatly improves performance when the
              daemon is flooded with slave requests.  In normal usage, this will
              likely not happen, but it is good for GDM to not fail so easily.
              Added better debug.  Added gdm_comm_close function so that slaves
              can ask to close the socket when done reading config.  Now uses
              common syslog functions.
            * daemon/gdm.h: Add better comments, rename GDM_SUP_MAX_CONNECTIONS
              to GDM_SUP_MAX_MESSAGES which is more accurate, and bump the max
              number to 80.
            * gui/gdmcommon.h, gui/gdmwm.h, gui/gdmsession.h: Added common syslog
              functions to gdmcommon.h and moved some functions that were in
              gdmcommon.h to gdmwm.h and gdmsession.h since the implementations
              were in those c-files.  Renamed functions to make naming consistant.
            * gui/gdmXnestchooser, gui/gdmchooser.c, gui/gdmcommon.c,
              gui/gdmconfig.c, gui/gdmdynamic.c, gui/gdmflexiserver.c,
              gui/gdmlogin.c, gui/gdmphotosetup.c, gui/gdmsession.c, gui/gdmwm.c,
              gui/greeter/greeter.c, gui/greeter/greeter_item_ulist.c,
              gui/greeter/greeter_session.c, gui/greeter/greeter_system.c:  Slaves
              close sockets connection when done reading config.  Now slaves use
              common syslog functions.  Naming changes to reflect renaming of
              functions in gdmcommon.h/gdmwm.h/gdmsession.h.  Better debug.
            * daemon/auth.c, daemon/cookie.c, daemon/display.c, daemon/gdm.c,
              daemon/gdm-net.c, daemon/misc.c, daemon/slave.c, daemon/xdmcp.c,
              gui/gdmlanguages.c, gui/greeter/greeter_canvas_item.c,
              gui/gdmsetup.c, vicious-extensions/ve-config.c: Make spacing around
              "++" more consistant.  Add better debug in some functions
    55230e85
gdm.xml 222 KB