Claim when "Subject" or "Location" text is too long
Using Fedora 34 with these packages:
$ rpm -qa | grep evolution evolution-data-server-langpacks-3.40.1-1.fc34.noarch evolution-data-server-3.40.1-1.fc34.x86_64 evolution-data-server-devel-3.40.1-1.fc34.x86_64 evolution-langpacks-3.40.1-1.fc34.noarch evolution-3.40.1-1.fc34.x86_64 evolution-pst-3.40.1-1.fc34.x86_64 evolution-ews-langpacks-3.40.1-1.fc34.noarch evolution-ews-3.40.1-1.fc34.x86_64
to access an Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 with EWS, I encountered a length limit in calendar appointment in "subject" and "location" line. According to my tests it seems to be the fault of Microsoft Exchange. I do not know if it is a general problem or a site-specific issue. This ticket is to make sure on Evolution's side that people do not fall for it. Based on a quick check the "meeting request" window is affected too.
Would it be possible to limit calendar item's "subject" and "location" line to 255 characters for EWS accounts? Or create a warning before saving in order to avoid silent truncation? I am fine with it if you do not want to change Evolution's behaviour.
steps to reproduce:
- in Evolution open an appointment window
- fill "subject" and "location" with more than 255 characters (chars)
- save in EWS account
comparison and observed behaviour:
- Microsoft Outlook 2016
- creating appointment: "subject" and "location" do not accept more than 255 chars.
- opening appointment created with Evolution with more than 255 chars: behaves like described in webmail section.
- "subject" accepts more than 255 chars. On saving it is truncated to 255 chars and then the last 3 chars are replaced with 3 individual dots.
- "location" does not accept more than 255 chars.
- opening appointment created with Evolution with more than 255 chars:
- "subject" has been truncated to 255 chars, then the last 3 chars are replaced with "..."
- "location" is cut off at 255 chars, no replacement with "..."
- "subject" accepts more than 255 chars, but on save is truncated to 255 chars and then the last 3 chars are replaced with 3 individual dots
- "location" accepts more than 255 chars; saving in Evolution does not truncate
- Opening this in webmail: text is automatically truncated to 255 chars without "..." replacement on the last 3 chars. When you leave the item you are asked to save your changes. Discarding the changes preserves the text.
- Opening this in Microsoft Outlook 2016: only the first 255 chars are displayed. No question about "saving changes".