Self-hosted Firefox Sync support: ability to set custom Firefox Accounts and SyncServer URL
Firefox allows you to self-host sync servers for privacy purposes.
Sync services consists of two parts:
- Firefox Accounts server, which takes care of user authentication across devices
- Firefox Sync Server, which takes care of syncing data
In order not to upload your data to Mozilla, you can:
- Self-host Firefox Sync Server, but use Mozilla's Firefox Accounts Server (this is the easiest way)
- Self-host both Firefox Sync Server and Firefox Accounts Server
After the initial server setup (which is described in the links above), you have to set these config values in Firefox on every device:
- For Firefox Sync Server:
- For Firefox Accounts Server:
After changing these values, Firefox won't sync with Mozilla servers and will sync to your own server.
I suggest that Epiphany should give its users ability to change these default URLs too. This way it would be possible to sync Epiphany between multiple devices without using Mozilla's servers.