App menu retirement
Application menus have been a source of usability issues since they were introduced, despite attempts to improve them. We are therefore aiming to end their use. We are also taking this opportunity to tweak a few other aspects of the affected menu items.
- Remove the app menus
- Introduce a distinction between primary and secondary mesus
- Rename About dialogs to "About <application name>"
Most GNOME apps.
People on charge & contact
@aday and @tbernard are leading on the design side.
Instructions to achieve the goals
See the wiki page.
Label for tracking the initiative
Text for the initiative issue in projects
Application menus have been a source of usability issues since they were introduced, despite attempts to improve them. We are therefore aiming to end their use by 3.32.0. Steps to complete: - [ ] Remove app menu - [ ] ... - [ ] ... See [the wiki page](https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/wikis/App-Menu-Retirement) for design guidelines.
How can I help
- Report issues for apps with app menus
- Help fix issues
- Test apps that have been fixed, to make sure that they are following the design guidelines
Apps should only be checked off if all the changes are in place and are correct.
- baobab!6 (merged)
- evince#994 (closed)
- five-or-more#10 (closed)
- gnome-boxes#223 (closed)
- gnome-calculator#80 (closed)
- gnome-contacts#109 (closed)
- gnome-maps#128 (closed)
- gnome-mines#27 (closed)
- gnome-music#229 (closed)
- gnome-notes#109 (closed)
- gnome-software#485 (closed)
- gnome-sudoku!5 (merged)
- lightsoff#8 (closed)
- simple-scan#71 (closed)
- swell-foop#11 (closed)