App Icon Redesign
The current application icon guidelines are outdated.
Developers making applications for GNOME should not have to undertake more work to target our platform than they do others (Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, etc.) by having to provide extra icon assets for small, low-resolution icon sizes.
As such, to avoid developers having to put in the effort on them, the
16x16, 24x24, 32x32 & 48x48 icon sizes will be deprecated in favour of symbolic icons and a single, scalable, high resolution application icon. These new application icons will be in vector (SVG) format to better suit scalability.
- Update the icons portion of the Human Interface Guidelines
- Update core apps with new icons acc. to this HIG
- Suggest updates to a wider application ecosystem (Inkscape, GIMP, Blender...)
- Update icon assets to use package name, e.g.
- Improve rendering in gtk
- core apps
People on charge & contact
Contact us in #gnome-design
Instructions to achieve the goals
Label for tracking the initiative
Text for the initiative issue in projects
icon: update app icon - GNOME 3.32 redesign of app icons. See https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/issues/2 for more info. /label ~"9. Initiative: AppIconRedesign"
List of projects & tasks
- Document Viewer (Evince)
- Archive Manager (File Roller)
- Text Editor (Gedit)
- Image Viewer (EOG)
- Passwords (Seahorse)
- System Settings
- System Monitor
- Character Map
- Dconf Editor
- Sound Recorder
- Translation Editor
- Deja Dup
- GNOME MPV
- Password Safe
- PDF Slicer
- Syncthing GTK
How can I help
- Making app developers aware of the initiative
- Designing icons for other third-party apps (best to check with the design team before submitting MRs)