Dark Style Preference
GNOME 42 will have a system-wide dark style preference, libadwaita and libhandy now provide API for supporting it. libadwaita is planned to be part of the GNOME platform for the next release, it would be good to have our applications follow it.
- Core apps
- Other apps that follow the GNOME release schedule
- Libraries that provide UI
- Follow the preference if applicable
- Adjust in-app dark style preferences, if there are any
- Ensure the app is usable and has decent contrast with dark appearance
People in charge & contact
Contact us in
Instructions to achieve the goals
See the wiki page.
Label for tracking the initiative
Text for the initiative issue in projects
GNOME 42 will have a dark style preference, it would be good to support it. * [ ] Follow the preference if applicable * [ ] Adjust in-app dark style preferences, if there are any * [ ] Ensure the app is usable and has decent contrast with dark appearance Read more about this at the [initiative](https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/Initiatives/issues/32), @exalm, @BrainBlasted and @msandova will help with the implementation of it. Let us know if you have any questions & thoughts. /label ~"9. Initiative: Dark Style Preference"
List of projects & tasks
Apps should only be checked off if all the changes are in place and are correct.
- colord-gtk (Settings -> Color -> View Details)
- libgnomekbd (gkbd-keyboard-display, Show Keyboard Layout)
- Parental Controls (malcontent)
- WebKitGTK (GTK4/libadwaita, GTK3 should work as is)
- Clocks (issue)
- Disk Usage Analyzer
- Document Scanner
- Document Viewer (evince)
- Image Viewer (eog)
- Maps (has permanently light map)
- Software (using libadwaita, still needs adjustments)
- System Monitor
- Web (issue)
Core (other components):
- Initial Setup
- Swell Foop
- App Icon Preview
- Banner Viewer
- Icon Library
- Symbolic Preview
- Vector Slicer
- File Roller
- Geary (issue)
- Sound Recorder
- Text Editor
- To Do
The list might be incomplete, please report anything missing or add them to the lists.
Third party/Circle apps are not listed - they are not on a schedule and don't really need an initiative to start supporting this.
How can I help
- Making app developers aware of the initiative
- Helping maintainers implement the goals