Currently, there is no clear or detailed guidance on how apps should handle app descriptions, release notes, etc. and it's very inconsistent even among core apps. This is a problem because it means third-party apps don't have good examples to follow, leading to poor metadata across the entire ecosystem.
Metadata in this context includes:
- Everything Appstream, including
- Developer name
- Various links
- Release notes
- Repository Metadata, including
- Repository icon
- Create new, comprehensive guidelines for how metadata should be handled
- Update all core apps to follow them
- If feasible: Help/encourage non-core and third-party apps to follow them as well
- Core, non-core, and third-party apps
People on charge & contact
Instructions to achieve the goals
Detailed guidance on how to update app metadata for this initiative can be found on the wiki page.
Label for tracking the initiative
Text for the initiative issue in projects
/label ~"9. Initiative: App Metadata"
List of projects & tasks
Create new guidelines
Repository metadata guidelines
Add more automatic checks to app overview