Currently there is no clear or detailed guidance on how apps should handle app descriptions, release notes, etc. and it's very inconsistent even among core apps. This is a problem, because it means third party apps don't have good examples to follow, leading to poor metadata across the entire ecosystem.
Metadata in this context includes:
- Everything Appstream, including
- Developer name
- Various links
- Release notes
- Repository Metadata, including
- Repository icon
- Create new, comprehensive guidelines for how metadata should be handled
- Update all core apps to follow them
- Help/encourage non-core and third-party apps to follow them as well
- Core, non-core, and third-party apps
People on charge & contact
- Tobias Bernard (@bertob)
Instructions to achieve the goals
Detailed guidance on how to update app metadata for this initiative can be found on the wiki page.
Label for tracking the initiative
~"9. Initiative: AppMetadata"
Text for the initiative issue in projects
/label ~"9. Initiative: AppMetadata"
List of projects & tasks
Create new guidelines
- Appstream guidelines
- Repository metadata guidelines
- Document Viewer (Evince)
- Web (Epiphany)
- Archive Manager (File Roller)
- Text Editor (Gedit)
- Image Viewer (EOG)
- Passwords (Seahorse)
- System Settings
- System Monitor