Developer Center Content Plan
Note: Primarily this consists of notes by me for now, will need review.
The base structure consists of elements which are be accessible from the front page.
- "Get Started" (Key Item)
- API Reference (Core Item)
- Design Guidelines (Core Item)
- Tutorials (Core Item)
- Distribute (Core Item)
- Technologies Overview (Secondary)
- Get Involved in GNOME (Secondary)
- GNOME Development Guides (Secondary)
The guide explains how to get started developing apps in GNOME.
- This guide will need writing. Maybe Getting Started with GTK+ would be a good inspiration?
- Perhaps, to have a dedicated maintainer of this guide?
- Generate documentation where possible. Fx with Hotdoc, libraries ported to HotDoc would shows nicely integrated documentation.
- Hardlink to gtk-doc documentation in places where libraries are not ported.
- External link to external projects' API reference where relevant.
- All generated documentation integrates with the documentation system.
- External links. I guess we still have to link to the external references. But maybe we can integrate them in our Search system and get notifications if the links die.
- Port over the HIG from Mallard.
- Maintain the HIG in markdown format.
- Review and select HOWDOI tutorials to port over which are still relevant from the wiki.
- Create Redirects to the new tutorials.
- Have sections with various topics fx:
- Playground: Tutorials for beginners.
- Multimedia: ..
- Online Integration: ..
This is essentially information Flatpak developer documentation and other information which falls into Distribution category (GNOME Release Schemes, Versioning, AppData?)
- External link to the Flatpak developer documentation
- Migrate Flatpak developer documentation to GNOME Developer Center? Although Flatpak is not a GNOME project.
- Maybe we can somehow integrate it anyway even if it is external? Through Search, cross-reference etc.
This is an overview of the technologies GNOME encompasses and builds upon.
- Move https://www.gnome.org/technologies/ into the Developer Center? Or continue linking https://www.gnome.org/technologies/
- Links to the Newcomer Coding Guide https://wiki.gnome.org/Newcomers/
- Migrate the newcomer guide to the Developer Center.
GNOME Development Guides
This seems to overlap with the purpose of "Tutorials" to me. Maybe we can have "Contribute to Developer Docs / Migrate to Developer Docs?" here instead or something else?