Website Prototype Proposal: Django
This thread collects opinions and discussion on using Django as a backend for the Developer Center website. Specifically this proposal is about re-using the previous Ubuntu Developer Portal by @mhall119 and @kenvandine.
@mhall119 is working on a test instance which can be found at:
- Based on a software stack used previously for the Ubuntu Phone developer portal (An example can be seen from the Wayback Machine).
- Dynamic CMS with minimal Bootstrap CSS with possibility to extend its functionality using plug-ins.
- Users registered in the Django instance can edit documentation using the built-in WYSIWYG editor.
- Documentation can be searched in all programming languages through a unified search.
- Support for multiple human languages.
- For GObject documentation, an importer would be needed to be written to import API documentation into Django's Database (HotDoc?).
- A dynamic website creates a heavier load, although it offers some extra HTML possibilities like comments and code snippets.
- Existing Mallard documentation would need to be ported to the Django database.