Website Prototype Proposal: Vuepress
This thread collects opinions and discussion on using Vuepress as a backend for the Developer Center website. Vuepress was proposed by @rockon999 who has been working with GJS documentation in his Google Summer of Code.
@rockon999 has created a test instance here with documentation for GJS:
- Supports multiple human languages.
- Built-in search.
- Documentation is written in MarkDown which VuePress compiles into tutorials with table of contents.
- Documentation is editable through "Edit in Gitlab" links.
- API documentation usable today by using GObject-introspection to generate MarkDown and HTML from GtkDoc.
- The test instance current has API documentation in DevDocs, not VuePress.
- To generate the API documentation, a CI runner would need to have GObject-introspection generate each language into a directory and create a dropdown component in VuePress to switch between directories.
- Some extra CSS styling would need to be done on a test instance to make it conform to Allan's theme.
- It currently does not live in GNOME's Gitlab due to slow CI for Gitlab Pages.
- Existing Mallard documentation would need to be ported to MarkDown.